At Prodispace we do development on Ruby on Rails. We have chosen this framework because we firmly believe that there is nothing better out there.
“Ruby on Rails is astounding. Using it is like watching a kung-fu movie, where a dozen bad-ass frameworks prepare to beat up the little newcomer only to be handed their asses in a variety of imaginative ways.”
-Nathan Torkington, O’Reilly Program Chair for OSCON
The elevator pitch:
Ruby on rails is an open source framework that’s optimised for programmer happiness and sustainable productivity. It lets you write beautiful code by favouring convention over configuration.
Five reasons to use Rails:
- Convention is favoured over configuration – This means putting everything in its correct place, using proper naming conventions etc. It also means:
- Project teams work better because developers can understand what the other team members did
- Source Code (Read intellectual property) is more maintainable and or sell-able.
- Coders spend less time coding and more time developing because they don’t have to re-invent the wheel.
- Rails uses a MVC (Model View Controller) architecture. This allows developers to extract logic into Model Classes keeping Controllers skinny and View stupid i.e. keep all the logic of your application where it is maintainable and at its most powerful because you are as close as possible to the actual data.
- Test Driven development
friendlyobsessive architecture that helps you to manage change and improve quality
- An open-minded, helpful, motivated, excited community is continuously improving and expanding the technology
- Great version control of not only the core framework code, but also of code extensions called Gems (most often written and maintained by the community). Ruby and Rails and GIT – a source code versioning and management system – are synonymous. It is easily possible to sustain legacy software developed in older versions of ruby on rails indefinitely, something that is absolutely critical if you want to do business with large companies.